General Health Recommendations

Below is a list of Dr. Reap’s recommendations on healthy habits that is worth adopting into one’s life.

  • Nutrition
    • Incorporate a whole and balanced food intake. Organic foods as much as possible.
    • Practice the 80/20 food rule. Aim to eat healthy meals 80% of the time and indulge with the other 20%. 
    • Choose foods that are in season. For instance, most fruits and zucchini in the summer while root vegetables and cabbage in the winter.
    • Eat high-quality meat and seafood products. Limit red meat consumption, and increase consumption of legumes and seafood.
    • Read food labels! Avoid products that contain hydrogenated oils, refined carbohydrates, chemical ingredients, and refined/added/artificial sweeteners. Gluten containing foods may be eliminated due to inflammation or suspected sensitivity. My general rule if you cannot pronounce the words in the ingredients section, do not purchase the product.
    • Prepare meals at home. Eat out only 1-2x per week.
  • Hydration
    • Drink clean filtered water. Get 1/3 to 1/2 of your body weight in fluid ounces per day. Non-caffeinated herbal teas and coconut water count.
    • Begin each morning with at least 1-2 cups of water to alleviate dehydration from sleeping. If you are a coffee drinker, 2 cups of water are needed for every cup of coffee consumed.
    • Use either stainless steel or glass water bottles. Avoid plastic bottles that may contain phthalates or bisphenol A (BPA)
    • Eliminate or reduce consumption of coffee, sugary beverages, energy drinks, and alcohol.
  • Breathing
    • Breathing also helps our bodies detoxify. It is therefore important one is breathing properly. Notice how you normally breath. 
    • The most efficient way to breathe is diaphragmatic (belly) breathing. This is the predominant method in healthy infants and young children, but as we age we tend to breathe using the chest and shoulder muscles and less of the diaphragm.
    • Breathing through the nose helps filter and moisten the air going to the lungs compared to mouth breathing.
    • Eliminate or reduce tobacco and/or marijuana smoking.
  • Movement
    • Move your body every day.
    • Try incorporating functional movement into your daily routine which will in turn result in better body strength and overall health.
    • At least a minimum of 150 minutes (2hrs and 30minutes) per week of moderate-intensity activity. This can be broken down into 5-30minute sessions.
    • Be sure to add weight-bearing and balancing activities.
    • Avoid intensive exercise in the evening, instead do yoga or meditation.
  • Sleep
    • Sleep is the best time for one’s body to repair and heal.
    • Sleep time varies among individuals. A minimum of 8 hours per night. If you notice you need more sleep, please take it!
    • Maintain consistent sleep and wake times.
    • Reserve the bedroom for sleep and sex only. If you find yourself laying awake, get out of bed. Do something mundane until you feel sleepy and go back to bed.
    • Keep your sleeping environment quiet, cool, and comfortable. Keep the room dark and remove electronics from the room. Electronics such as phones, TVs, and computers generate electromagnetic fields that can disturb sleep from some people.
    • Expose yourself to sunlight early in the morning and late in the afternoon to encourage a strong circadian rhythm. The hormone melatonin (aka sleep hormone) is suppressed in light and secreted in darkness.
  • Community
    • Surround yourself with healthy and supportive relationships. Notice your relationship with yourself and others.

With these simple healthy habits, better health outcomes can be achieved. Are you making yourself a priority? Are you giving yourself self care? Could you use more guidance in adopting these healthy habits in your life? Meadowlark Natural Medicine is here to help you in your healing journey! Healing can be simple especially when we follow the Laws of Nature.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s